Chemotherapy will upset your daily works schedule and normal routine. If you prepare in advance, stress can be reduced and negative impact of chemo on your emotional and physical health can be minimized.
Chemotherapy is not a once-for all treatment. It amounts to a journey and making plans for the journey can help in paving a smooth road for good health. Chemotherapy consists of a wide range of medication and chemical agents which are used to kill cancerous or abnormal cells.
There is no common indicator of what will be the impact of chemo on an individual. But one can take practical steps to help prepare for its impact on daily responsibilities. Necessary tests may be conducted to determine whether your body can weather the impact of chemo.
You will need adequate time to rest after chemo treatment. Make preparations for routine tasks before chemo lest you be shocked and incapacitated by its after effects. Make a list of tasks to do on a monthly, weekly, and daily basis. Assemble a support team to help you with this process.
There are some other preparations you can do:
- Enjoy meals in company of loved ones; you are most likely to eat well.
- Go for bland, soft foods if you don’t have an appetite.
- Cook and freeze meal s prior to chemo, so you don’t have to work after the procedure begins.
- Start eating well balanced, healthy meals to set a pattern after chemo.
- Stock up on food items, lest you are not able to go grocery shopping.
- Stock up on bottled water to stay hydrated.
ARRANGE FOR FINANCES:
- Ascertain chemotherapy treatment cost in India.
- Arrange automatic payment of bills from your checking account.
- Your bank may provide service of online bill payment where they will collect amount at a later date.
- If your finances are going to be tight, arrange payment of bills before beginning chemo. You will definitely not want to deal with bill collectors during the chemo process.
- Hire outside help to do weekly cleaning of home, particularly the bath rooms.
- Get into the habit of regular washing of hands. Ask friends and family to do the same, to prevent spread of infection.
- Adopt a no-kiss, no-handshake policy to keep germs at bay.
- Stock up on anti-bacterial wipes.
ARRANGEMENTS AT WORK:
- Contact your HR manager and apprise her of your treatment. She may help arrange for you, adequate medical leave.
- In case, a substitute will take care of your official duties, spend a few days making him familiar with them.
ARRANGEMENTS AT HOME:
- Arrange for someone to pick up and drop kids from school.
- Enlist the care of another parent for after-school activities of your child.
- Invite relatives to stay at home during your chemo, so they can run your home smoothly.
- Plan for trash disposal and lawn maintenance.
- Do standard blood tests before chemo to check your readiness for the process.
- Routine blood checkups during and after chemo will help ascertain its efficacy.
- Radiological tests like CT scan, MRI etc will also help you in planning more chemo.
- A dental exam before chemo will prevent any future infection.
- Take adequate rest before chemo, so you can face it being healthy and strong.
- Prepare emotionally by focusing on recovery and health rather than death or illness.
These are some ways to prepare for chemotherapy. The average cost of chemotherapy in India is relatively low, thus relieving patients of a huge burden.